Friday, June 24, 2011

New Debt Totals

For those of you who didn't know, we are now a minivan family.  There are a few reasons driving our decision to get rid of the SUV that we (I) loved and drive a minivan.  First, God asked me to do it.  No, He didn't send me a postcard.  There was no magical moment when I heard His voice and He certainly didn't appear to me in a dream.  Those would have been much easier.  For quite a few months I was wrestling with the decision.  God was using situations and people in my life to convict me about my vanity.  My Expedition was a status symbol for me.  It was big, it was cool and I felt like a stud (or whatever the female version of that is) driving it.  I was proud.  I finally gave in and we unloaded the beast.  I'd like to say it was a proud moment and I was brave and strong. I was not.  I cried... almost.  I was fighting back tears as they drove my baby away and pulled up my new minivan.  And if you know me at all, you know that is a big deal. 

Second, we were able to walk away from the deal with absolutely no payments on anything.  We had enough equity in the truck to trade it in and walk away with an older model, used minivan and no debt.  Since our overall goal is debt reduction, it was a great plan.  The only downside is that we know this van won't last us too long so we are putting what used to be our monthly payment in savings each month to buy another used van when we need it.  We are hoping to get about two years out of the one we have now.  Yes, there will be repairs, but we are prepared for that. 

So the big question is, how do I like driving my swaggar wagon?  It's OK.  I don't hate it.  It is nice knowing it's completely paid for.  It has lots of cool features- I told Tim that if I'm going to drive a minivan it's going to have some options so at least I don't feel so desolate.  The kids love the DVD player and I have been enjoying the sunroof.  I do miss my Expedition.  It was big, black and beautiful and bigger than a lot of the other cars on the road.  But I don't miss the payment. 

With that being said---  remember in April our debt total was $24,089.33.  Our debt total as of today, just two months later is $12,615.85.  Most of that is (obviously) the truck.  A little bit of that is progress we have made apart from the truck.  That number isn't so daunting.  We could actually do this, we could be debt free.  It's amazing what a little progress can do for you. 

Always Fabulous,

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! I love love love that!!

    I'll never be able to wear a feather in my hair, but I definitely can enjoy some debt free. You are doing great!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa made me laugh, can I just say ditto ;)
    Good job. I know thw minivan thing is hard. I drive one because we made the financial choice not to spend the money on the SUV I want. SO I empathize. You guys are really close to the big debt free scream!!!

    ReplyDelete