Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Crockpot Method

So this whole getting out of debt thing has been compared to cooking with a crock pot.  The theory is, you didn't accumulate all of your debt in one day and you can't get out of all that debt in a day.  That theory is a bunch of crap, in my opinion.  I could definitely get into massive debt in one day.  One totally epic day.  I'd start with a private jet flight for me and a few of my closest friends to Miami where we would do some light shopping.  Nothing a few personal assistants couldn't carry around for us.  After that we would continue on to our private beach front luxury home and my chef would cook everyone a hearty lunch.  All cooked to order, of course.  While we were waiting for lunch to be served, the local Cadillac dealership would be bringing Escalades around, of which I could have my choice.  I would choose the black one, and obviously it would have every bell and whistle available.  After lunch, everyone would go to the beach where we would all be wearing new swim suits, in which everyone would look great because of the massive amounts of nipping and tucking we would have endured for our big day on the beach. (It's a dream, right?)  There would be rounds of drinks served by the waitstaff and we would end the day with a bonfire/cookout on the beach. 

But I digress, while all of that sounds so very lifestyles of the rich and famous, it really wouldn't make me happy.  I have learned (and am still learning!) to find happiness in my husband, my kids and my accomplishments.  Having a happy marriage, raising good kids and meeting goals I have set for my life are what drive me.  Getting out of debt is one of those goals.  And while it would be easier to find a huge chunk of money somewhere or get an inheritance and pay stuff off,  where is the accomplishment in that?  Working hard to achieve something is a reward in and of itself.  Being able to look back and say that I did it with nothing but sheer determination and hard work will make it so much more meaningful. 

Now, will I have that kind of attitude through this entire process?  I hope so.  But probably not.  Which is why I have a post-it note up in my office that reads, "I did not get into debt in one day and I will not get out of debt in one day." 

Always Fabulous,

No comments:

Post a Comment